About Places to Publish

In an ongoing effort to encourage writers to not just write,
but to pursue the craft on a professional level I offer links
and information I have found useful.

If you have something you think would be of help
to your fellow writers please email me the information
themuse.honey@gmail.com.

Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Arc Poetry

Arc editor offers this...

"The best new poetry and poetry criticism from the emerging and established writers to watch - in Canada and beyond." http://www.arcpoetry.ca/mag/submission/submission_guide.php - for complete submission guidelines.

2 comments:

Ian Buchan said...

Thank you for starting this blog; I've placed a few pieces on your writng blog, but you may have noticed that they are usually non-fiction, or memories. I'm not too experienced, as I retired from a professional career in civil engineering. Over the years I must have generated a few million words by way of contracts, technical papers, reports and what have you: hardly the best preparation for writing fiction or poetry. You do acquire skills in accuracy and proof-reading, though! Any way I will keep trying, I do have a train story I could fictionlise and try at the 'Glimmer' magazine. Ciao.

Laura Jayne said...

Proof reading is quite the valuable skill. I envy you that as I write too fast sometimes and seem to always drop a letter or two. Just today I wrote though instead of thought and you instead of your.

Find what you enjoy writing, write it and then look for a market. If you enjoy non-fiction, or memoir writing, there are places who seek that. ONe thing I really recommend (and has become easier and cheaper with the internet) is to read a selection of writings from the publication you are considering offering your piece to. See if your piece is similar in feel. While it doesn't need to be a carbon copy of what they have, most publications do have a certain tone.

I will look for a few more non-fiction places for you, but in the meantime... take a look at The Sun's Readers Write themes. A great place to get started and they want true stories.